Saturday 31 May 2014

Ogre Camoflage WIP

 

First colour laid down, in this case purple for all, which is mostly by happen-chance, because I didn't knowingly set out to have a colour in common to all the forces.

The pink Ogre is being done in a scheme base on the Swedish splinter pattern as applied to the Saab Viggen.

Both the green and yellow schemes are differential dazzle schemes, where the placement of colour is driven by the desire to have the lower parts of the Ogre in lighter tones.  Of course the pink scheme will appear similar, because the pink is very bright, but the design is largely driven from copying the Swedish camoflage pattern.  A subtle difference that pleases me, and I imagine most other will not notice, or care much about.

On looking at the above picture I think I will add some more purple to the Mark 1 Ogre, which I think needs to be darker on top.
  

10 comments:

  1. Very nice! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My plan i to show how I build up the camo scheme colour-by-colour. All part of a cunning plan for an article proposal for Miniature Wargaming.

      Delete
  2. Very nice! I have a bit of a collection of OGREs at one of my old blogs that you might like:
    http://ogrerecognitionmanual.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know your site, and it's good to see it updated. Some great miniatures featured, very inspirational.

      Delete
    2. Most kind Ashley- always looking for new submissions too :-)

      Delete
  3. Nifty! Do you plan to composite the finished products against real backgrounds? (With a suitably low shot angle, as any high-flying drone would be shot down before taking a picture.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there an easy way to do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The miniature photography I'll leave up to you, since you're pretty good at it already. Put them against a plain background, then crop that out to transparency in a decent image editor (I use The Gimp) and put it over an appropriate terrain photo at the same sort of angle. Then fake shadows, which is fiddly but makes it look a lot better. If in doubt: use more layers.

      Delete
    2. OK I'll give that a try.

      Delete